Dawn at the Light

Today’s image is an early morning shot of one of Maine’s lesser known lighthouses, Portland Head Light.  OK, just kidding.  As anyone from New England will tell you, this is supposedly the most photographed lighthouse in the U.S.  Or maybe Nubble Light is.  Anyway… I haven’t photographed Portland Head Light in way too many years, and being that I was in Portland for the weekend, I had no choice but to visit at sunrise.

As you can see, it was a very cloudy morning, and there were more than a few cold and disappointed photographers there without some nice morning color.  Be that as it may, I was still able to grab a few shots I liked, including this one, which was the first I took that morning.  The slight hint of color on the left is actually coming from the lights of the city, and was just enough early on to add some additional interest.  I was also pleased to be able to capture Ram Island Ledge Lighthouse in the background on the right side.  A cold and cloudy, but still somewhat satisfying morning.

1. Margie
    Posted January 21, 2014 at 7:06 am | Permalink

Beautiful shot ! You captured the serenity of the scene beautifully. I could feel the frigid salty air just viewing your work. I am new to your website and lok forward to future postings.l

• Steven Perlmutter
      Posted January 21, 2014 at 7:59 am | Permalink

Thanks so much for the visit and comments Margie.

2. Posted January 21, 2014 at 7:10 am | Permalink

Personally, I like the dark, less color-filled image. It’s not one you typically see and the lighthouse stands out in it – for the reason it was there in the first place, right? To let people know where the land is! I like it a lot Steve!

3. Posted January 21, 2014 at 9:44 am | Permalink

Nice shot, Steven. I was awake that morning. Wish I could have joined you.

Kidding. I wasn’t awake.

4. Posted January 21, 2014 at 11:00 am | Permalink

Oh it does look like tit was a cold morning but well worth it. I love this shot and I loved Portland Head. I was fortunate to have been there a coule of summers ago to shoot this awesome lighthouse. Great job Steven.

5. Posted January 21, 2014 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

I have never shot this in winter with snow and I love how it looks Steven. Super shot.

6. John Forde
    Posted July 20, 2015 at 9:41 pm | Permalink

Very nice shot. I recently drove up there for a dawn shot but the head was all fogged in at dawn. After waiting several hours I managed to get a nice shot of the lighthouse from the south east side with the fog bank in the background after it lifted from the area right around the lighthouse and above the fog the sky going deep blue. Not the magic dawn shot I wanted but maybe next time. 🙂