Ayer Mill Clock Tower

I’ve always considered it a privilege when granted access to photograph any of the old mills in Lawrence.  The mill owners are generous, trusting, and they allow me to do something for which I have a true passion.  This past weekend, however, a privilege became an honor.

My good friend and fellow photographer, Bob Lussier, had been asked to create some environmental portraits of the man who has served as the keeper of the Ayer Mill Clock for the past 22 years.  As you know, Bob and I share the same passion for the mills, and he was kind enough to allow me to join him for the shoot.  In exchange for acting as a light stand for some off-camera flash for the portraits, I was able to shoot the inside the clock tower, and more importantly I got to know Charlie.

Charlie has incredible stories to share, and is an encyclopedia of facts about the mechanics and history of this special landmark from his many years maintaining and rebuilding it.  It was a pleasure and an honor to meet him, and in the process, I also got some pretty cool images to share.  I’m starting today with a shot of the exterior of the clock tower taken from the roof of the Ayer Mill before we went inside.  Images from inside will follow in later posts, along with some interesting information about the mill and clock tower.

And please check out Bob’s site for some of the photos he captured of Charlie.  Really great stuff.

1. Posted November 19, 2013 at 7:06 am | Permalink

Sounds like an awesome time! Love the image, too, Steve! Love the black and white conversion and the clouds behind the tower!

2. Posted November 19, 2013 at 9:06 am | Permalink

Wonderful capture Steven – and enjoyed Bob’s shots as well. Thanks for the link.

3. Posted November 19, 2013 at 9:15 am | Permalink

Great to have you along. I really like this shot. Looking forward to seeing what else you walked away with.

4. Posted November 19, 2013 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

Making this image from the roof of the mill gives a much nicer perspective than if you had been restricted to ground level, Steven. Having seen Bob’s shots I am looking forward to seeing your interpretation of the inside of the clock and comparing your approaches.

5. Posted November 19, 2013 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

Strong composition, well timed shadow and perfect partly cloudy background. Just a fine job overall.

6. Posted November 19, 2013 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

A really great shot and terrific opportunity to experience some of the history of the place.

Must have been awesome meeting someone with so much experience and knowledge about the place.

Nice work, Steven.

7. Posted November 19, 2013 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

Nice work from both of you, what a fun experience. I find it so interesting they would have such a tower in a mill, oh back in the day! Thanks for sharing, love it

8. Posted November 19, 2013 at 7:42 pm | Permalink

This is wonderful, Steven!