Duck Door

I couldn’t think of a creative name for this image of one of the doors at the Duck Mill, so I give you the Duck Door.

Anytime I shoot a mill for the first time, I seem to be drawn to the stairs and doors first.  This was true once again when Bob and I visited the Duck Mill this past winter.  Inside this building are four abandoned floors of stairways and old doors (and lots of other cool stuff) that gave me plenty of choices for things to photograph.  The Duck Door is one of my favorites.

1. Posted August 6, 2013 at 7:18 am | Permalink

The title does get your attention and the image keeps it! Cool light and detail! Well done!

2. Posted August 6, 2013 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

My goodness, what a wonderful place this must have been to explore.
    Also I am guessing, one of those places you could return to a hundred times, and still find something brand new.

I really love the textures and tones in this one, and being able to peek in at the staircase is genius!

3. Posted August 6, 2013 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

Really love this Steven. The darkness of where you are and that great light and detail beyond the door is quite compelling. You left the door open just the perfect amount.

4. Posted August 6, 2013 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

Makes me want to go through the door and see what’s next! Very cool shot Steven!

5. Posted August 6, 2013 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

Yup I agree with Jimmy the title definetly gets your attention. Wonderful images Steven. Love the way you’ve composed it.

6. Posted August 7, 2013 at 9:48 am | Permalink

One thing about doors, they always provide a bit of mystery as everyone wants to know what’s on the other side. Nicely done!

7. Pete
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 5:53 am | Permalink

I built out a recording studio on the 2nd floor of the Duck Mill and was there from March 2004 to May 2007 when an ice dam on the roof caused a bad flood. It was amazing having uninhibited access to that entire building. While I owned the recording studio I was also in photo school and did my entire senior project on the mill. This building is going to be developed soon, which is great, but I’ll always have a soft spot for the years I was the only tenant there. Glad you see the beauty that I saw, too. Nice work.

• Steven Perlmutter
      Posted April 7, 2014 at 8:12 am | Permalink

Thanks for your comments Pete. The Duck Mill is indeed a beautiful place, and I’ll be a bit sad when it gets developed.