Super Sunset

We had it all planned out.  Super moon.  Eastern Point Lighthouse.  We knew the time, the location, the moon’s position.  And then… clouds. Lots of them.

There would be no super moon this time around for Bob Lussier, Mike Tully and me.  Fortunately, we had a really nice sunset to shoot before the clouds robbed us of the moon.  It actually turned out to be one of the better sunsets I’ve seen at Eastern Point, so in the end the trip was worthwhile.  And in the process I created the name Super Sunset.  Let’s see if it catches on.

1. Posted June 25, 2013 at 6:53 am | Permalink

I, too, had issues with the clouds on Sunday night, but I finally got a couple of shots of the moon just as I was about to give up. Mother Nature can really try our patience sometimes can’t she? Your Super Sunset definitely makes up for your disappointment though. That is a stunning capture!! It should be framed and on display :).

2. Posted June 25, 2013 at 7:03 am | Permalink

I much prefer the super sunset to the super moon – the moon is pretty much the same, whether it’s full or not, but no two sunsets are. Very cool!

3. Posted June 25, 2013 at 8:31 am | Permalink

You may have missed the moon but this more than makes up for it. Great composition and a terrific image, Steven. No disappointment on this one. 🙂

4. Posted June 25, 2013 at 8:44 am | Permalink

Agree, this shot more than makes up for it. Comp & light are great 🙂

Ps, no relation to Mike (that I know of lol)

5. Posted June 25, 2013 at 9:27 am | Permalink

I missed the moon too Steven. Was in NJ but with the same result. I really like this composition of Eastern Point. It is a different from the standard shot.

6. Posted June 25, 2013 at 9:39 am | Permalink

Wow, beautiful image and amazing framing Steven! I too missed the Super moon. I tried two nights, and one morning. All cloudy! Also no sunset for me! You have beauty here, much better than the Super moon! 🙂

7. Posted June 25, 2013 at 9:41 am | Permalink

Great shot. Love the framing.

8. Posted June 25, 2013 at 11:20 am | Permalink

I agree with Jimmy. The super moon would have been nice but this sunset is gorgeous and i love your composition.

9. Posted June 25, 2013 at 6:36 pm | Permalink

We were snookered up here too with the clouds. Looks like you managed to get a great shot under the circumstances, I love the colors and details here. Lighthouses are so inherently romantic.

10. Posted June 28, 2013 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

I agree with other commentators – the moon is the moon, sunsets have more variety and this is a great one. Superb control of the shadow areas in the foreground, Steven.

11. Posted July 2, 2013 at 11:26 am | Permalink

beautiful image Steven, well worth the effort even without a supermoon appearance!

One Trackback

1. By – Eastern Point Light on June 26, 2013 at 6:29 am

[…] never materialized due to clouds).  But before the sun actually set and lit up the sky as seen here, it was casting a really nice warm light on the other side of the lighthouse and the surrounding […]