Blair Bridge

Today’s image is the Blair Bridge in Campton, NH.  I have driven by its exit off I-93 several times recently on my way to and from skiing trips further north, and found myself driving by it again this weekend.  This time I had no one with me, and thus no excuse not to stop to see if it would be worthwhile.  And it definitely was.

Although other bridges had been built at this location beginning in 1829, the current structure was built in 1869, and is NH covered bridge #41.  It’s only wide enough to accommodate one vehicle at a time, and cars need to wait when there is another already crossing the bridge.  It creaks and groans when you drive across it, which just adds to the experience.  This is another spot that’s going on my “I gotta get back here in the fall” list.

1. Posted April 15, 2013 at 7:34 am | Permalink

Oh yeah, you had to! Love these old bridges and you’ve snapped this up pretty well Steve! Good stuff!

2. Posted April 15, 2013 at 7:44 am | Permalink

I love these old covered bridges Steven. You have composed this perfectly and the weathered wood really pops.

3. Posted April 15, 2013 at 11:58 am | Permalink

I know it’s been said in other comments but I really do love these old covered bridges. Terrific shot Steven.

4. Posted April 15, 2013 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

Add me to the covered bridge fan club. You have captured the weathered look of the old timbers really well, Steven.

5. Mary Ellen Bleeden
    Posted April 16, 2013 at 12:39 am | Permalink

What a peaceful image and the dark clouds add to the mood. I agree that you should return in the fall!

6. Posted April 16, 2013 at 5:59 pm | Permalink

I am so loving this one, Steven! Great old details in the architecture, great character… what a lovely setting, no wonder you’re so anxious to get back there in the fall, I can just imagine how this will look painted with a bunch of vibrant colors!

7. Posted April 17, 2013 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

Very Nice, love those couds, such a great setting

One Trackback

1. […] Blair Bridge – a truly amazing old wooden bridge is the focus of this post from Steven Perlmutter.  This old heritage bridges dot the landscapes of the US and form an important part of the history for the area.  This one exhibits a great personality, and Steven’s photograph does a perfect job of sharing a little of that with the visitor. […]