Arrow

Today’s image is another shot from the Duck Mill in Lawrence.  The problem I’m having with it is that each time I look at it, I either love it or hate it.  I can’t make up my mind, so I want you to help me.  What do you think of it?  Any and all criticisms are welcome, and I promise that no feelings will be harmed during the making of this blog post.   Thank you.

1. jimdenham107
    Posted February 28, 2013 at 6:50 am | Permalink

When it comes to urbex, and I think the mill work here falls in that category, I like images that are unique and something that would likely be overlooked if I or anyone else would walk in the same steps. This image definitely fits in that category. I may have walked by this outlet 10 times while there, but would likely never thought about taking its picture. Great depth of field and love the rich processing. I like it alot!

• Posted February 28, 2013 at 7:52 am | Permalink

Thanks Jim. I was indeed looking for unusual things to shoot this time, and tried about 50 different angles and compositions on this one little fixture before I got this one. Thankfully I dont shoot film anymore. 🙂

2. Posted February 28, 2013 at 9:21 am | Permalink

To be honest this image jumped out at me right away. Your DoF is so perfect that fixture practically jumps out at the viewer. It has a very 3D quality. I really like it Steven.

3. Posted February 28, 2013 at 9:22 am | Permalink

I think it is a really cool shot Steven. I do notice that there seems to be no middle ground with the light in the foreground and the mill in the background. There is normally a transition. That may be what is bothering you.

4. Posted February 28, 2013 at 10:19 am | Permalink

I like this as well. Edith noted that it has a perfect DOF, and I absolutely agree. While Len notes that there is no middle ground, I think that actually works perfectly for this image. I do love the hint of reflection from the windows in the water on the floor as well. Really nice composition in my opinion.

5. Posted February 28, 2013 at 11:22 am | Permalink

For what it’s worth….
    The image seems quite flat. I suspect this may be down to your preference to keep the windows in the background under control. Unfortunately, these are the brightest part of the picture and the bright parts of pictures can have a tendency to pull our eye. In this case, the window on the right is particularly close to the subject and competes directly for attention. I think there is more in the light fitting to come out, i.e. the reflections could be helped along a little.
    If you check the levels you will notice that all of the detail is mid gamma point down – presumably everything upstream of the midpoint is related to the windows. A wiggle of levels and some curves work, perhaps on a selective nature, may give your image the extra punch you see in your mind’s eye.
    But then that’s my interpretation and that might not be how you see the image at all! 😉

6. Posted March 1, 2013 at 1:56 am | Permalink