Frozen Marsh

Well we survived Nemo this weekend… all 28+ inches of it.  Aside from a driving ban for a day and a half, and some sore muscles from shoveling, it was a great snow storm.  Huddling by the fire watching movies.  Wondering if the power would go out as the snow kept piling up.  I loved every minute of it.  And watching my kids sled and make snow forts reminded me of the blizzard of ’78 when I was their age.  I loved every minute of it then too.

Once the driving ban was lifted, I made a few quick trips around to see what some of my favorite locations looked like buried in snow.  Unfortunately it was difficult stopping anywhere as the roads were more narrow than usual, and many parking areas were not cleared.  I did grab a few shots, however, including this one of the salt marsh in Essex, MA.  It’s strange to see it frozen, when it’s typically flowing with water among green grass like in this image.  I guess it’s a different kind of beautiful in the winter.

1. Posted February 11, 2013 at 8:29 am | Permalink

Glad you stayed safe. We had pretty much the same experience at our end. It really did look pretty with everything covered in white. Love your choice of the monochrome treatment for this image.

2. Posted February 11, 2013 at 8:41 am | Permalink

Glad you guys rode it out in comfort. These storms can be enjoyable when we prepare and have the comforts of home.

Quite a difference in the two march photos. 🙂 Both are beautiful in their own right. Today’s look’s very cold, as I am sure it was. Nice shot, Steven.

3. Posted February 11, 2013 at 9:00 am | Permalink

Nice shot Steven. Though not the same looking at this scene without a plate of fried clams in front of me.

4. Rich McPeek
    Posted February 11, 2013 at 9:47 am | Permalink

Happy to hear your family made it through the blizzard unscathed! Wonderful shot! Nicely done Steven!

5. Mark Summerfield
    Posted February 11, 2013 at 2:22 pm | Permalink

Glad to hear you got through the storm OK. This image has a nice charm to it even considering the cold and enormous amount of snow. Love the curved leading line on the snow taking the eye to the cabin.

6. Posted February 13, 2013 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

I heard about this monster storm – that’s one hell of a snowfall you had.