Rock Steady

Just a quick post for today.  This is one of the jetties along Plum Island in Newburyport, MA.  I’ve posted shots of these rocks in the past, but thought I’d try a B&W long exposure for this one.  On cloudy or overcast days here, I almost always go in thinking about how an image will look in B&W, and then shoot and process accordingly.

1. Posted February 6, 2013 at 9:44 am | Permalink

Beautiful!!!

• Posted February 6, 2013 at 9:46 am | Permalink

Also curious as to what type of neutral density filters you use.

• Posted February 6, 2013 at 9:58 am | Permalink

I mostly use the B+W 10 Stop ND filter which works like a dream. I sometimes use a polarizer instead when there’s less light and I don’t need the 10 stops.

• Posted February 6, 2013 at 10:12 am | Permalink

Thanks – I’ve been in the market but can’t seem to push myself to make a decision. It’s good to hear what others are using.

• Posted February 6, 2013 at 9:56 am | Permalink

Thanks Maya.

2. Posted February 6, 2013 at 10:01 am | Permalink

Great shot! The black and white processing works wonders for the image.
    I usually do the same thing when I’m out on a dreary day. To me there is no point processing a photo in color if there isn’t much to show.

3. Rich McPeek
    Posted February 6, 2013 at 10:03 am | Permalink

I love long exp black and white shots! Great work Steven!

4. Mark Summerfield
    Posted February 6, 2013 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

The long exposure and the monochrome treatment work perfectly here, Steven.

5. Posted February 6, 2013 at 3:01 pm | Permalink