Rays of Light

I’m going to continue today with another image from the Everett Mill with this shot from the 6th floor.  Almost every window on this side of the building is covered with these stained shades, but the combination of a slight tear in one of the shades and the late afternoon sun was like a siren song for us to come and shoot it.

One of the things that fascinates me about these mills is that they once were the home of textile companies and machine shops, and yet today much of the space is occupied by a variety of more modern businesses.  While certain areas still remain unused (perfect for photographers like us, btw), the same bricks, wood and windows from a century ago are paving the way for new business and opportunity today.

1. Posted January 29, 2013 at 7:47 am | Permalink

That is one awesome play on the light Steven. Love the composition and perspective.

2. Posted January 29, 2013 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

I love this shot and love the sunlight spilling on the floor.

3. Mark Summerfield
    Posted January 29, 2013 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

Such a simple composition and yet so very effective. The light on the floor acts as the perfect leading line to the windows and all that detail in the background. Nice one, Steven.

4. Posted January 30, 2013 at 8:44 am | Permalink

Great composition and use of light.

5. Posted January 30, 2013 at 11:31 pm | Permalink

As I said on Bob’s blog, this is incredibly important work, Steven, and you’ve doing such a wonderful job with it. I keep finding the architectural landscape of my island changing, sometimes even resulting in demolition, of important heritage structures. In some cases, our photography is all that is left of these places that helped formed the foundation of our society. Terrific image.

• Posted January 31, 2013 at 6:00 am | Permalink

That really means a lot to me, Toad. It’s wonderful that others feel the way that we do, and this is the reason that Bob and I are establishing our workshops. Thank you.

6. Sue McDaniel