Cyclops

As Bob Lussier and I get ready for our upcoming mill workshops, we did a little scouting trip this weekend along with Mike Tully to the Everett Mill in Lawrence.  This place is massive, and full of incredible spaces to photograph.  For this particular image I was inspired by all of the great images Bob has made of mill stairways over the years.  And one thing the Everett Mill doesn’t lack is cool stairways.

When I got home and started to process this shot, I immediately saw the opening in the wall as a cyclop’s eye with the railing as a mouth below.   Do you see it, or am I starting to imagine things?  Well… at least the lines and textures are pretty nice too.

1. Posted January 28, 2013 at 7:46 am | Permalink

That is a cool composition Steven. Like how you used the stairs as a leading line.

2. Posted January 28, 2013 at 8:21 am | Permalink

And red hair – which lends a nice highlight.

3. Posted January 28, 2013 at 8:34 am | Permalink

Nice shot Steven! Looks like you got comfortable with that ultra-wide lens in no time.

4. Posted January 28, 2013 at 10:48 am | Permalink

Wonderful spot Steven. I really like the composition. I forgot to wish you luck on the workshops in your last post. Good luck! You guys will make a great team.

5. Mark Summerfield
    Posted January 28, 2013 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

Nice composition, Steven. I like the graphic designs of the different colors as well as the shapes in the image.

6. Posted January 29, 2013 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

Lovin all these Mill shots! Nice work

7. Posted January 30, 2013 at 7:09 pm | Permalink

These old mills are the coolest things!! Great shot here, Steven, I too saw the Cyclops… but I do admit I also really enjoyed the architectural details, the great natural lines and of course, those wonderful textures. Fabulouso!

One Trackback

1. […] Cyclops – Steven Perlmutter takes us into the Everett Mill in Lawrence where we get to enjoy a really fabulous study in lines.  Steven’s composition here uses the lines and features in one of the staircases as a means to guide the viewer through the frame.  Great textures and details in the old mill itself are totally brought to life in this shot. […]