It’s been a while since I posted something that didn’t revolve around the coast or water, so today I’m posting a shot from a trip to the Stone Mill in Lawrence a while back with good friend Bob Lussier.   There are so many things to see and photograph here, and yet sometimes I overlook the obvious stuff.  This is one of the hallways on the 3rd floor that I’ve walked through countless times going to the various empty spaces of the mill.  This time I actually stopped here as I suddenly noticed how the light coming through the far door illuminated the hall by bouncing off all the wood surfaces.  Paying attention to the way light reflects off different surfaces and materials is something that I’m trying to pay more and more attention to in order to create more compelling images.  It’s not always about just finding good light, but also how to use that light to create the image you want.

1. Posted October 8, 2012 at 10:35 am | Permalink

Steven, I like the reflection from the natural light. I too get in a hurry to get to a spot that I want to shoot and miss a lot of opportunities along the way. It’s good to get a reminder and thanks for sharing this.

2. Posted October 8, 2012 at 11:57 am | Permalink

Nice bold, minimalist image, Steven. The light and lines with the large blocks of color form a nice, almost abstract design. Really like this one!

3. Posted October 8, 2012 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

First class job Steven. Love the way the light bounces around and off the walls here. The exposure is spot on too – well balanced. A very simple but very effective result – many of us would have missed this I suspect

4. Posted October 9, 2012 at 9:49 am | Permalink

the light flowing into this space is fantastic. fascinating place.

5. Posted October 9, 2012 at 9:03 pm | Permalink

Nice shot Steven. I wish I could find some urbex style stuff to shoot here in Atlanta!

6. Jim Nix
    Posted October 10, 2012 at 6:57 pm | Permalink

intriguing, makes me wonder whats around the corner – nice one

7. Posted November 2, 2012 at 8:46 am | Permalink

How did I miss this great shot?
    I love the mood and color here. Nicely done!