Just a quick post for today.  This image presented a bit of a dilemma for me.  I like everything about the image except the pink buoy that the boat is tied to.  I tried to remove it, but with my primitive PS skills it was too difficult to clone out and have a natural-looking edge to the boat.  I really debated whether to post the image, or just leave it in the depths of my Lightroom catalog.  In the end I think the rest of the image outweighs the pink buoy.  What do you think?  How distracting is it to you?

1. Posted October 3, 2012 at 6:43 am | Permalink

I definitely see what you mean, but it’s still an incredible capture. I’m not that good with photoshop either, but here’s an idea. What if you change the colour of the buoy, maybe to a colour similar to the water?

2. Posted October 3, 2012 at 7:13 am | Permalink

I like this minimalist image quite a bit, Steven. Glad you didn’t pass it up. The buoy, while not so bad, would have been better removed in my opinion. That would have added a little more mystery to the image. If it’s difficult to clone out you may want to try masking it out by copying the layer and off-setting the one beneath so that there is open water below the buoy. You could then zoom in and scrape down to the water beneath.

This is still a great shot, nonetheless.

3. Posted October 3, 2012 at 7:21 am | Permalink

It’s really a great shot Steven. I love it. I agree that the buoy is a bit distracting but I was going to suggest exactly what Jimi did above. Nonetheless I’m glad you decided to post this.

4. Posted October 3, 2012 at 7:43 am | Permalink

I think this is a compelling image Steven with its minimalist composition. I think either suggestion about the bout would eliminate / minimize the buoy.

5. Posted October 3, 2012 at 8:24 am | Permalink

It’s a great shot, but I see what you mean. Anyway, now i surely see the buoy and find it a tiny bit sistracting.
    Love
    Dina

6. Posted October 3, 2012 at 9:54 am | Permalink

nice shot and I am not bothered about the buoy

7. doephotog
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 11:14 am | Permalink

Wonderful shot. Would have been hard to resist this one.

8. Mark Summerfield
    Posted October 3, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

Have you tried to reduce the saturation and/or luminance of the reds in lightroom? This should reduce the colors of the buoy only and make it much less noticeable.

9. Posted October 4, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

I would find that very tricky to clone out because reconstructing the missing bit of boat would be a major problem. The obvious (but probably very stupid) comment is: was there an opportunity to move to your left, or wait for the tide or wind to shift the boat? I guess the answer to both is ‘No’!