Today’s image is another look at Monhegan Light on Monhegan Island.  This image was taken from a different vantage point compared to my post the other day, and captures the light tower in addition to the various buildings and the dory.  As I mentioned previously, this is just a beautiful spot 178 feet above the ocean below.  As my writing skills are limited compared with my photography skills, I thought I’d share this excerpt from an 1886 book called, All Among the Lighthouses by Mary Bradford Crowninshield, who described the view from Monhegan Island Light as such:

“Way off there to the north spread out the woods and forests of Maine, miles and miles each way, as far as the eye could penetrate; and out there to the west , the south, the east, stretched that limitless blue expanse, heaving, rolling, sparkling, dotted with its flaky signs of enterprise and commerce, which dipped and bowed to the heaving sea, some close, some far away, others showing a dim outline on the distant streak which limits the boundary of our vision.”

Sometimes I wish people still talked this way.

Have a great weekend!

1. Posted September 28, 2012 at 7:05 am | Permalink

I think this is a super composition Steven. Very well processed with nice color contrast with the roof and sky.

2. Mark Summerfield
    Posted September 28, 2012 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

Although this is a full color image, there seems to be such a simple color palette to the shot – one shade each of blue, red, green and white – which I really like.

3. Posted September 28, 2012 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

Mark’s comments above are very apt – the colours are very simple but they go together so well. As in the previous image of this place, the curves of the boat provide a very satisfying contrast the more angular buildings. Good work, Steven

4. Posted September 28, 2012 at 5:32 pm | Permalink

It looks like someone just kept adding buildings to this lighthouse. Wonderful composition Steven.

5. cfrailey
    Posted September 28, 2012 at 7:06 pm | Permalink

Love the perspective.

6. Posted September 28, 2012 at 7:22 pm | Permalink

Great shot, Steven. Love this scene.

7. Adam Allegro
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

Nice shot. Great clouds and subject.

One Trackback

1. By Red Roof | Perlmutter Photography on October 18, 2012 at 6:43 am

[…] part of the extended building at the Monhegan Lighthouse which I previously posted about here and here.  I was originally there to shoot the lighthouse itself, but instead ended up taking far more […]