This is the Marshall Point Lighthouse in Port Clyde, Maine which was made famous in the movie Forrest Gump.  It’s the place he ran to on the east coast before turning around to run west.  While it’s always impressive to come across places that have been portrayed in movies, I was disappointed (at least as a photographer) that the lighthouse museum in the keeper’s house had a crappy snapshot of Tom Hanks and the lighthouse keeper in a cheap little frame as the only real memento of the shooting of that scene.  I wasn’t necessarily expecting a 20×30 aluminum print, but something with a little more substance would’ve been nice.  Oh well.

It was quite cloudy/overcast the morning I was there, so I quickly decided that a long exposure in B&W would probably be best for this long view of the walkway to the tower.  I was originally hoping for a nice sunrise over the lighthouse, but I’m certainly pleased with how this image turned out.

1. edithlevyphotography
    Posted September 27, 2012 at 8:34 am | Permalink

I live this Steven. Fantastic leading lines and long exposure.

2. Posted September 27, 2012 at 10:00 am | Permalink

Run, Forrest, Run… well done, Steven. This has a great leading line and awesome sky.

3. Posted September 27, 2012 at 10:11 am | Permalink

Great shot, love the leading lines, looks great in B&W

4. Mark Summerfield
    Posted September 27, 2012 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

Love the leading lines and the soft wisp of the clouds from the long exposure. Perfect capture, Stephen!

5. Posted September 27, 2012 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

Great tones and symmetry which draws your eye right into the shot.

6. Posted September 27, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

Greta leading lines Steven and I love the long exposure effect. I have a similar shot but my traveling companions were impatient and I didn’t have time for a long exposure. Now that I have seen this, I regret not trying it.

7. Posted September 28, 2012 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

Outstanding shot, Steven, I really like what you have done here!

8. Posted October 1, 2012 at 9:58 pm | Permalink

Totally fabulous, my friend, what a GREAT shot!

One Trackback

1. By Pillars | Perlmutter Photography on November 19, 2012 at 6:40 am

[…] in Maine.  This is the lighthouse made famous in Forrest Gump which I previously posted about here.  You know how much I dig lighthouses, and this is definitely one of my favorites with it’s […]