While on Monhegan Island in Maine, one of the things I wanted to explore was this shipwreck at the southern end of the island in an area called Lobster Cove.  This was the D.T. Sheridan, a 110′ steel tug that ran aground in heavy fog in November of 1948.  As you can see, the hull is completely rusted through, and is slowly deteriorating on the rocks.  It was a blast exploring all its rusted goodness, with so many photo possibilities.  I didn’t get to spend nearly enough time here, but I hope to get back again soon.

1. Posted September 25, 2012 at 10:01 am | Permalink

Wow, that is one big piece of machinery. Love the rust Steven.

2. Ken Rowland
    Posted September 25, 2012 at 10:31 am | Permalink

Cool photo Steven. great detail in the rust.

3. Posted September 25, 2012 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

Bold and beautiful image, Steven. Nice shot!

4. Mark Summerfield
    Posted September 26, 2012 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

Great POV, Stephen! This view gives a nice impression on the power that once was this tug.

5. Posted September 26, 2012 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

Dramatic shot created by the Low POV and a wide-angle lens. Certainly expresses ‘Power’.

6. Posted September 27, 2012 at 9:57 am | Permalink

Love this POV and the great contrast of the rusted metal and sky.

7. Jim Nix
    Posted September 27, 2012 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

that’s awesome Steven, very cool and nicely handled!

8. Posted September 27, 2012 at 5:04 pm | Permalink

You’ve absolutely nailed this Steven! I would have been just like a kid in a candy store with a subject like this! Isn’t it amazing how strong and permanent metal seems to us, yet in the hands of Mother Nature it’s just another element that can be broken down. Time is a great equalizer. Love this, my friend, fan-flippin-tastic work here!

9. Posted September 27, 2012 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

Really interesting picture- I’ve also taken rust photos of the huge iron pillars that support old victorian railway bridges in Manchester. These were cut through with water marks, sediment and various layers of paint as well as different rust textures. Fascinating what you can find if you just look about youi. All the best with your future photographic projects, Kathy.

One Trackback

1. By Rusty Details | Perlmutter Photography on October 4, 2012 at 6:44 am

[…] I explored the wreck of the D. T. Sheridan, I was a bit overwhelmed with all of the little details that I could’ve spent time shooting. […]