When I was in Maine a week ago, I decided to spend part of the day on Monhegan Island which is located about 12 miles off the coast of Port Clyde.  The island is just an incredible place, and without any cars or paved roads, it feels like it’s from another time.   It’s only about 1/2 mile wide and 1 1/2 miles long, and while there is a vibrant community here in the summer, the winter population is typically less than 50 people.  Much of Monhegan is wooded, and it’s also quite hilly and rocky.  I believe that the highest point on the island, where this shot was taken, is actually the highest point in all of coastal Maine.

This scene is part of the property at Monhegan Light, a location which provides incredible views of the island and surrounding water.  The lighthouse is actually behind where I’m standing (well, squatting), but for this shot I wanted to focus on the dory and the simplicity of the buildings.  Oddly enough, the actual lighthouse tower is probably the least attractive building here.  I of course still grabbed many shots of it, and will post some in the coming days.

1. Posted September 24, 2012 at 8:49 am | Permalink

What a great place, Steven. Would love to visit there.

Love this image, it’s color is so nicely balance and it’s a fine composition. I can see this one framed and hanging on the wall. Nice one, man.

2. Posted September 24, 2012 at 10:20 am | Permalink

Wonderful image Steven. It screams Maine. I’ve never been to this place but now you have added another reason to head to Maine.

3. Posted September 24, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

Wonderful perspective Steven.

4. Posted September 24, 2012 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

Very well balanced composition, Steven. The colours work so well together.

5. Posted September 27, 2012 at 5:05 pm | Permalink

Really, really great textures here, my friend. I found myself exploring this frame for quite some time taking in all the wonderful details you’ve shared!!

2 Trackbacks

1. By Monhegan Light | Perlmutter Photography on September 28, 2012 at 6:45 am

[…] Light on Monhegan Island.  This image was taken from a different vantage point compared to my post the other day, and captures the light tower in addition to the various buildings and the dory.  As […]

2. By Red Roof | Perlmutter Photography on October 18, 2012 at 6:43 am

[…] is part of the extended building at the Monhegan Lighthouse which I previously posted about here and here.  I was originally there to shoot the lighthouse itself, but instead ended up taking far […]