Someday someone will need to explain to me the attraction that photographers have (myself included) to these telescope things we see everywhere there’s a vista of some kind.  Anytime I see one, I can’t help myself and have to grab a shot or two whether it stands alone like this one, or if it makes a nice foreground interest to a scene in the background.  For this shot, the lack of color from the fog surrounding the telescope (is that what they’re called?) cried out for B&W, although the color version almost looked B&W on it’s own.   Do you find these things to have a magnetic attraction to your camera as well?

1. Posted August 30, 2012 at 8:09 am | Permalink

Most definitely! Just a few months ago when I was in Niagara Falls, I felt compelled to capture them as well. I think part of it is how long they have been around. Compared to all of the new technology nowadays, they almost seem antique.

2. Jim Nix
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 9:24 am | Permalink

nice one Steven! I love those things too, but rarely find them on my travels – cool shot!

3. Posted August 30, 2012 at 10:43 am | Permalink

You’re right I have snap away when I see these as well. Excellent title and image. Love the way you’ve processed it.

4. Posted August 30, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

Never really thought about this Steven. I can honestly say that I have never photographed one before. Now I will have to add one in the future. Great title and image.

5. Posted August 30, 2012 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

I like the subtle tonality, Steven. It conveys a very quiet mood. Nice job!

6. Posted September 6, 2012 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

For me it’s all about the geometric shapes. Thank god for the fog!