Good morning and happy Monday.  Today’s image brings us back to Gloucester, MA and the Annisquam area.  This building is located right next to the Annisquam Light (see some previous images here, here and here), although I’m not really sure whether there’s any actual connection or link between the two.  I had raced up here the other night after work in hopes of a nice lighthouse sunset, but traffic unfortunately caused me to miss it by just a few minutes.  I hung around for a while to get some of the warm after-sunset colors you see here, but the bugs soon got the best of me, and I had to leave.

One of the things that drew me to this composition is the positioning of both the building and the clouds.  While I utilized the rule of thirds in positioning the building on the right, having the clouds on the left side really added some nice balance to the shot.  Balance is something I always look for when either composing a shot, or when cropping it during post, as it definitely can add that something extra to an image.

1. Posted August 20, 2012 at 6:42 am | Permalink

I think the composition of this shot is perfect, and it looks lovely and peaceful there!! Very beautiful :).

2. Posted August 20, 2012 at 7:09 am | Permalink

Beautiful image, Steven. I like the range of colors and the composition of this.

3. Posted August 20, 2012 at 10:44 am | Permalink

Just love the composition Steven. The soft light enhances the scene wonderfully.

4. Posted August 20, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

Terrific shot Steven! Love the pov and the colors are sweet!

5. Mark Summerfield
    Posted August 20, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

The cloud in the left third does provide a very nice balance to the much “heavier” right with both the building and the rocks. The wonderful light really helps, too!

6. Posted August 20, 2012 at 10:49 pm | Permalink

You’re absolutely right to have been drawn to this composition it’s beautiful. The clouds really balance the house nicely.

7. Posted August 21, 2012 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

Yep, I have to totally agree with you on your points regarding balance here, Steven. Love the colors in the sky, and the drama in the clouds and building here really come together just perfectly. A real joy to view!

8. Posted September 17, 2012 at 10:18 am | Permalink