Today’s image is one that I’m excited about because it’s something that I’ve wanted to try for a while.  This is a vertical panorama, or vertorama as I’ve seen them called, from the Stone Mill in Lawrence, MA.   I was shooting there the other day with the very talented Bob Lussier, and we spent a fair amount of time trying all sorts of angles and compositions in this room.  I lingered for a while, and right before I was about to move on to a new location, it occurred to me that this could be a good spot for a vertorama so I fired off 5 sets of brackets from the floor up to the ceiling.  When I processed them last night, I was really pleased that it was indeed a good place for one of these shots.   Vertoramas really create an interesting perspective in a room, in this case making the room seem much longer than it actually is.  Now I can’t wait to find other opportunities in rooms like this to try these some more.

1. Posted July 31, 2012 at 6:54 am | Permalink

I haven’t tried vertoramas yet but with results like this one, I need to. Well done Steven

2. Posted July 31, 2012 at 7:53 am | Permalink

Awesome subtle use of HDR here Steven, you’ve rocked this vertorama!

3. Posted July 31, 2012 at 10:10 am | Permalink

Nice subtle vanishing lines here Steven. The HDR processing is spot on.

4. Posted July 31, 2012 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

Excellent job Steven. I’ve never tried shooting a vertorama but I think I’ll need to put it on my list.

5. Posted July 31, 2012 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

I’ve never tried this – What lens do you use to avoid problems handling converging verticals? Excellent processing here, Steven. Smart work.

• Posted July 31, 2012 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

Thanks Andy. This was a small space so I used a 18-70 lens. Ideally I believe telephoto lenses work better, but in tight spaces it’s not always possible. This was my first attempt at one of these, so I think I’ll need to try some different things in the future.

6. Posted August 1, 2012 at 6:31 am | Permalink

That was really cool Steven. I clicked on the image to get the larger version. Now im on a 15″ laptop, so not much difference from the post image. But i was pleasantly surprised that I was able to zoom in and really enjoy all the details in the floor ceiling and the windows. Great shot and processing. I never made a vertorama, but Im going to try it out next time im out.

7. Posted August 5, 2012 at 9:08 pm | Permalink

Love the way this turned out!

2 Trackbacks

1. By Have a Seat | Perlmutter Photography on August 6, 2012 at 8:04 am

[…] for a more simple and intimate composition.  By the way, this is the same room I posted about here the other day.  Anyway, it was really fun to shoot and process my image, and then to see a […]

2. […] posted a similar shot from here this past summer that was a vertorama of this awesome room on one of the upper floors of the Stone Mill in Lawrence.  Today’s […]