I realized the other day that I don’t spend nearly enough time photographing Boston, especially considering I work there every day.  So I started to remedy this the other night with an impromptu shoot after work.  The sky decided not to participate in my plans around sunset, but I was able to grab some pre-blue hour shots of the skyline.  This is a 4 shot panorama of downtown looking across Fort Point Channel.  The red building and ship in the middle are part of the Boston Tea Party Museum which was recently renovated and reopened.  I haven’t had a chance to take a tour, but plan to make a visit some time soon.  As for the image, I’m still working on my pano skills, and definitely need some practice as evidenced by the distortion throughout the image.  I’m certainly pleased with the result, but recognize I need to keep at it.

1. Posted July 30, 2012 at 7:19 am | Permalink

Very nice pano Steven. The Boston waterfront is just teeming with photo opportunities.

2. Posted July 30, 2012 at 7:38 am | Permalink

I think you’re being a bit hard on yourself, Steven. I don’t see any distortion that bothers me in this. I love the colours in this and that old style red building towards the left provides an excellent counterbalance to the skyscrapers. Nice Pano

3. Posted July 30, 2012 at 10:58 am | Permalink

I don’t know Steven the pano looks pretty good to me. Beautiful blue hour shot.

4. Rick
    Posted July 30, 2012 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

Not a bad pano! Just remember to give yourself at least a 1/3 overlap on each image to that the merge can do it’s work properly. If you can afford it get a pano kit from Really Right Stuff so that you can create the perfect pivot point. A tilt/shift lens works as well.

5. Mitch
    Posted July 30, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

Steven, the image is fantastic. One of the best I’ve seen of the museum. Would you mind linking your text about Boston Tea Party Museum to their website? http://www.bostonteapartyship.com Have a great week!

6. Posted July 30, 2012 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

I agree with Andy, you are being a bit harsh on yourself. There might me some minor distortions but this is still a very nice image. The red museum building and the ship in the harbor are the perfect counterpoints to the modern high-rises.

7. Posted July 30, 2012 at 5:23 pm | Permalink

Very nice shot, Steven. I really like the reflections and the muted but still dynamic color treatment. And if you hadn’t mentioned the distortion, I would not have noticed.

8. Posted July 30, 2012 at 6:31 pm | Permalink

Very nice pano work, Steven. This is a really nice looking image. Love the colors in this.

9. Posted July 31, 2012 at 3:47 am | Permalink

A fine cityscape pano. Boston certainly has some photogenic places to capture. I was there 5 years ago and loved it.

One Trackback

1. By Across the Channel | Perlmutter Photography on August 3, 2012 at 6:51 am

[…] Boston skyline looking across the Fort Point Channel, and was taken on the same night as the one I posted of the Boston Tea Party the other […]