Before we get to today’s image, I wanted to say thank you for all the feedback regarding the new blog design.  It’s still a work in progress, and your input means a lot to me.  I truly appreciate everyone taking the time to leave comments and thoughts.   So thank you.

As for today’s post, it appears my lighthouse obsession continues.  This is Graves Light which is located at the outer end of Boston Harbor.  It’s not accessible to the public, and is best seen by boat which is how I got this shot.  It was late morning, and the sky lacked any nice color, so I decided to process this in B&W.  Tonemapping the brackets brought out some nice detail in the clouds which looked much better in monochrome.  What really impresses me with this image is the power of post-processing software.  I grabbed these brackets while balancing on the deck of a relatively small fishing boat, which is a far cry from my usual tripod set-up or even just standing on firm ground.  But even though each bracket was slightly off from the others, Photomatix was able to line up everything perfectly.  I know we take some of this stuff for granted these days, but every so often I’m reminded how amazing and powerful it really is.

1. Posted July 17, 2012 at 6:35 am | Permalink

That is just stunning in B&W. It gives it such an amazing atmosphere!

2. Posted July 17, 2012 at 6:57 am | Permalink

Wonderful tones and processing Steven. I haven’t been able to get to Graces Light yet but hope to soon. I share the same love of lighthouses as you do.

3. Posted July 17, 2012 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

Beautiful tones Steven. I love lighthouses too…as you know and love looking at your beautiful images of them.

4. Posted July 18, 2012 at 1:07 am | Permalink

I love the light rays peaking through the cloud. The black and white is perfect for this image.

5. Posted July 18, 2012 at 7:42 am | Permalink

Awesome image! The B&W really works well here and those rays of light beaming down from the clouds are a great touch.
    Nothing wrong with a lighthouse obsession, keep them coming. 🙂

6. Posted July 18, 2012 at 8:03 am | Permalink

Really digging the new site man, looks awesome! What a great B&W too, I love the contrast.

7. Posted July 18, 2012 at 10:36 am | Permalink

Gorgeous bw image. I love the light coming through the clouds. So awesome.

8. Posted August 29, 2012 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

Very good B&W shot – great drama that symbolizes the loneliness of this place

One Trackback

1. By Boston Light | Perlmutter Photography on July 19, 2012 at 6:40 am

[…] during the summer season.  I took this shot on the same fishing trip where I shot the image of Graves Light I posted the other day.  My understanding is that the view of the Boston skyline from the top of […]