Well I’m back after a week of vacation at home and time away from the blog.  I had a fantastic week with my family full of fun day trips and some much needed R&R.  While I certainly love to take vacations to new and interesting places, sometimes a staycation at home is still the best.

Last week we were fortunate here in Boston as the city hosted Boston Harborfest, the War of 1812 bicentennial celebrations, Navy Week, and OpSail Boston.  These overlapping events meant that Boston played host to numerous ships and boats, including some of the Tall Ships.  These two ships, the Guayas from Ecuador and the Gloria from Colombia, were docked at Fish Pier, and are just incredibly impressive and beautiful ships.  The Guayas is a 257 foot long Ecuadorian Naval Academy ship, teaching seamanship and navigation skills to naval cadets.  The Gloria, at 249 feet, is the official flagship of the Colombian Navy, and was commissioned in 1968 as a sail-training ship, similar to the Guayas.  I woke up real early to grab some shots at sunrise before the crowds, and was pleasantly surprised with both a nice sunrise, as well as finding the lights still lit on both ships.  I’m endlessly fascinated with the Tall Ships, and will post some more images in the near future.

1. Posted July 9, 2012 at 6:48 am | Permalink

What a beautiful shot Steven. I love the early morning light and the lights of the ships as well. Very dramatic.

2. Posted July 9, 2012 at 6:49 am | Permalink

Beautiful image, Steven. Love that great sky.
    I was able to get some nice images of the Gloria (and others) when they were here in Baltimore in Mid-June for our “Sailabration”. It’s quite an experience seeing these tall ships, as you well know.

Glad you enjoyed the staycation, great way to enjoy the home front. 🙂

3. Posted July 9, 2012 at 6:49 am | Permalink

Beautiful capture!! My parents live in Kingston, Ontario, right on the water. There have been War of 1812 celebrations there too, and they have been lucky enough to see some of the Tall Ships sail right by their house, which thrills them as they are sailors themselves. My Mom has been very busy with her camera :).

4. Posted July 9, 2012 at 7:04 am | Permalink

Love this Steven. Great light color and composition. I am looking forward to heading back up there in August even more.

5. Posted July 9, 2012 at 10:09 am | Permalink

Gorgeous light here for this shot. I bet that was a lot of fun to see. I love Boston.

6. Posted July 9, 2012 at 10:43 am | Permalink

these things amaze me in how much work they actually took to float around. Nice shot!

7. Posted July 9, 2012 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

Awesome shot Steven! Love the sky and lighting!

8. Posted July 9, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

Fantastic image, Steve! The colors in the sky, the lights on the boats, what more could anyone ask for?

9. Posted July 9, 2012 at 4:58 pm | Permalink

Wow – that’s such a stunning image. Amazing sky, the lighting on the tall ships – and excellent processing.

10. Posted July 9, 2012 at 7:11 pm | Permalink

Absolutely top drawer, Steven! I love love love the Tall Ships… they come to Victoria for a festival periodically, too, and it’s always a highlight for us to see them. This picture is just full of nostalgia and romance, my friend; well composed and captured!!

11. Posted July 9, 2012 at 9:08 pm | Permalink

Awesome image Steven! The texture in the sails is incredible and the lighting is beautiful.

One Trackback

1. By - Gregory Allen Deese on July 15, 2012 at 12:43 am

[…] Tall Ships at Sunrise – there is something absolutely romantic and captivating about Tall Ships.  We have a festival up here on Vancouver Island regularly that feature these great ships, and it’s a highlight of the year when we can attend.  Steven Perlmutter captures a great shot of two very commanding ships as they sit in dock with their lights on as the morning sun begins to emerge. […]