Happy Tuesday, and I hope everyone had a nice long holiday weekend.  Have you ever had one of those times where you keep trying to find the right composition at the right moment, but each time you set up you wish you had stayed in the spot you were just in?  That’s how my morning on Plum Island went this past weekend.  Each time I moved from the wide angle shots of the boardwalk and sky to some abstract shots of the waves and sand, and vice versa, the lighting conditions kept making me wish I stayed put.   Finally, long after the sun had risen, the light and the clouds conspired together and presented me with this shot.   As for processing, I blended two exposures – one of the boardwalk and grass, and one of the sky – in PS to balance the contrast of the scene.

Camera settings: ISO 200, f/13, 24 mm, 2 exposures blended in PS

1. Posted May 29, 2012 at 7:10 am | Permalink

What a lot of people don’t realize is how much a small change in light make the biggest difference in a photo. Patience (not my strong suit) is required. This is nicely framed with the bridge acting as a wonderful leading line Steven.

2. leadinlines
    Posted May 29, 2012 at 9:28 am | Permalink

An almost perfect sky (imho) with the rays shooting out. Nicely done Steven.

3. Posted May 29, 2012 at 10:04 am | Permalink

I think you found the perfect spot. Beautiful shot and excellent processing Steven.

4. Posted May 29, 2012 at 10:48 am | Permalink

This shot just makes me want to take a peek over that horizon. Perfect POV and the processing is just right. I understand the problem you describe so well. The only way to solve it is a second camera body – hopefully I will have another soon.

5. Posted May 29, 2012 at 11:17 pm | Permalink

What a great, great image Steven! Well done, my friend!

6. Rich McPeek
    Posted May 30, 2012 at 8:31 am | Permalink

Terrific shot Steven! Love the sky and the pov! Great work!

7. Posted May 30, 2012 at 9:00 am | Permalink

Warm and inviting, Steven. Nice capture.

8. Posted May 30, 2012 at 5:19 pm | Permalink

awesome sky Steven, well shot and processed!

One Trackback

1. […] Rays of Light – a perfect composition that is further enhanced by perfect beaming light rays from the sun is shared in this gorgeous image by Steven Perlmutter.  The pier provides a great natural leading line with a vanishing point to complete the overall compelling nature to the picture. […]