Well it had been quite a while, but I finally got out this weekend to do some shooting.  I was up early Saturday morning, and headed up to Gloucester with a friend to shoot the Annisquam Light.  The lighthouse sits at the northern end of the Annisquam River as it empties into Ipswich Bay.  The river separates Cape Ann from the mainland, and is home to the seaside communities of Gloucester and Rockport.  The original lighthouse structure was a wooden tower, and was built in 1801.  It was rebuilt in 1850, again from wood, and the current cylindrical brick structure was erected in 1897 on the same footprint as the original tower.    This was my first visit to the lighthouse, and was as much a scouting trip as anything else.  The sunrise was unspectacular, but there was still some nice warm light that bathed the eastern side of the lighthouse.  I was just so happy to be back out shooting in the early morning that I wasn’t at all disappointed with the cloudless sky.  This shot was made by combining two exposures in PS to allow for proper exposure of the foreground and sky.  I have several more images from here that I’ll share in future posts.  Happy Monday.

Camera settings: ISO 200, f/11, 18mm, 1/160 second

1. Posted May 21, 2012 at 8:28 am | Permalink

I love the POV and the range of colors here Steven, really well done!

2. Posted May 21, 2012 at 10:35 am | Permalink

I agree with Dave on this…love the POV.

3. Posted May 21, 2012 at 10:58 am | Permalink

Nice comp, Steven.

4. doephotog
    Posted May 21, 2012 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

Nice lighthouse shot. Like the foreground placement.

5. Posted May 21, 2012 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

I like the tonal range in this – the paleness of the sky matches the foreground well, and what a good foreground it is. Well worth getting up for.

6. Posted May 22, 2012 at 12:26 am | Permalink

Great shot. However I feel the two rocks in the forground are distracting

7. Posted May 22, 2012 at 7:55 am | Permalink

Great composition, Steven. I like the soft lighting as well.
    Always nice to be out in the early morning!

3 Trackbacks

1. […] Perlmutter Photography one man's attempt to take cool pictures HomeAbout MeContactPortfolio Twitter Facebook RSS Feed ← Lighthouse Sunrise […]

2. By Annisquam Light « Perlmutter Photography on June 14, 2012 at 6:28 am

[…] is another shot of the Annisquam lighthouse which I recently posted about here, here and here.  Because the sky was cloudless that morning, I knew I wanted to convert this shot to […]

3. By Stone House | Perlmutter Photography on August 20, 2012 at 6:38 am

[…] building is located right next to the Annisquam Light (see some previous images here, here and here), although I’m not really sure whether there’s any actual connection or link between […]