For today’s post we go back to Martha’s Vineyard once again.  This is Edgartown Light, which I’ve shot countless times before.  One of the great things about this lighthouse is that it’s ok to shoot it countless times because it provides so many angles, compositions, points of view, etc.  You can shoot it tight, or use the many opportunities to create a wide angle shot with a foreground interest.  Or you can try some combination of these or anything else that works for you.  For this particular shot, I chose a mid-range shot using the water and the sky to frame the lighthouse.  The smooth streak in the middle of  the water is the current flowing through from the other side of the jetty.  Although the horizon is smack dab in the middle of the shot, I still think it works.

Camera settings: ISO 200, f/16, 70mm, 15 seconds

1. Posted March 27, 2012 at 6:47 am | Permalink

What an amazing sky here Steven, I love the muted tones to this as well.

2. Posted March 27, 2012 at 10:34 am | Permalink

Beautiful image Steven. I like you’re choice of shooting it mid-range and your framing. It allows the viewer to take in all its beauty.

3. Posted March 27, 2012 at 11:29 am | Permalink

Really beautiful piece Steven! Awesome light in this.

4. Posted March 27, 2012 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

What a lovely area and you captured this one just perfectly!! Nice work my friend.

5. Posted March 27, 2012 at 5:45 pm | Permalink

This is absolutely lovely, my friend!! Great photograph, I totally am in love with your composition on this one!

6. Posted March 28, 2012 at 8:49 am | Permalink

Amazing scene, Steven! This a pure beauty. Love composition and processing, man.

7. Posted March 28, 2012 at 9:55 am | Permalink

Steven –

Once again, your refined photographic acumen never fails to please! The Edgartown Lighthouse is indeed a special lighthouse. I was moved when I saw the cobblestones that surround it inscribed with the names of children who have transitioned from this life; it is a wonderful place for a memorial dedicated to the memory of children.

Thanks again for the great picture!

Best,
    Kevin

• Posted March 28, 2012 at 11:28 am | Permalink

Thanks for the comments Kevin. As you can tell, the Vineyard is a special place for me, and I really appreciate your kind words.