I was driving around and exploring York, Maine this past weekend, and immediately hit the brakes when this house caught my eye.  It’s situated right on the water, and has this wonderful wraparound porch.  I’ve always wanted to have a beach house with an old porch like this, especially one with this kind of view.  And the more weathered, the better.  Although the sky was kinda bland that day, the blue floor added enough character to make up for it.  Can’t you just see yourself sitting there on a wicker chair on a cool summer night?  This time of year I think about that a lot.

Camera settings: ISO 200, f/10, 27mm, 3 brackets

1. Posted March 6, 2012 at 8:10 am | Permalink

Wonderfully composed and processed Steven. Amazing you saw this driving around. Well done

2. Posted March 6, 2012 at 8:15 am | Permalink

Wow, just love the POV here Steven. I agree with Len, the processing is spot on.

3. Posted March 6, 2012 at 8:22 am | Permalink

Nice Steven, I love the contrasting tones of the siding and the sidewalk.

4. Posted March 6, 2012 at 10:41 am | Permalink

Thats a beautiful scene. Nice capture.

5. Posted March 6, 2012 at 11:48 am | Permalink

Oh I just love this shot. The only thing I love more then Maine is a wrap around porch on a beach house which like you I always envision myself sitting on a nice summer night. I’m planning a trip to Maine this summer so you’re giving me lots of inspiration.

• Posted March 6, 2012 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

Thanks so much Edith. Maine is definitely one of my favorite places to visit and photograph, and fortunately I’m close enough to go fairly regularly. What part of Maine will you be visiting?

• Posted March 6, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

My husband and I are planning a summer trip out to Acadia and Bar Harbour. Are you close to that area?

• Posted March 6, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

Acadia is about 5 hours from where I live, so I’m usually in southern Maine (Ogunquit, York, Kennebunkport, etc.). Hope you have a great time, and I’m sure you’ll have some beautiful images to share when you get back.

• Posted March 6, 2012 at 4:45 pm | Permalink

I think Acadia is a good 13 or 14 hour drive from Toronto so we’re trying to plan our route. We’ve usually been in the southern part of Maine this is the first time we’ll be visiting this region.

• Posted March 6, 2012 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

If you’re interested, when you visit, let me know since I live in Portland. I could give you some insider tips for the area. Also, if you wanted, my wife and I wouldn’t mind meeting up either 🙂

• Posted March 6, 2012 at 4:43 pm | Permalink

That souds great Andrew. I’d love to get some tips. Rob Hanson also gave me some great inside info on Acadia so the more the merrier. Would love to meet up. We’re still working out timing but contact me (on my site) or I’ll touch base with you.

6. Posted March 6, 2012 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

Maine!? I live in Portland area. E-mail me with the e-mail I used to create this comment and we’ll go shooting sometime. You at any art shows this summer?

7. Posted March 6, 2012 at 5:31 pm | Permalink

Looks like you are floating around there in a sea of fog. At least that’s the feeling I get from it.

8. David Patterson
    Posted March 6, 2012 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

Beautiful… almost Wyeth-esque. Love the colors but bet this would look awesome in black and white too.

9. Posted March 7, 2012 at 12:28 am | Permalink

Great shot Steven! Love the color contrast on this!

10. Posted March 7, 2012 at 3:25 am | Permalink

cool shot! Love the processing

11. Posted March 7, 2012 at 5:11 am | Permalink

That floor is awesome, such vivid blues. Very cool shot. I want to be here 🙂

12. Posted March 8, 2012 at 10:40 am | Permalink

I love this picture. Colors and composition are just beautiful!!

13. Posted March 8, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

Very nice scene! I’ve never been to Maine. it’s on my list of places to visit.

14. Posted March 11, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

A great find. The colours are tremendous and actually the greyness of the day helps. If you had a sunny day with blue sky and blue water, I think the blue of the floor would just get the life sucked out of it.

One Trackback

1. By Perseverance « Perlmutter Photography on March 9, 2012 at 6:36 am

[…] luck, but I did manage to get the one that I wanted.  I took this shot the same day I grabbed the porch shot I posted earlier this week, and it was taken on the other side of the rocky cliffs that surround […]