Today’s post is another image from my trip up to Rockport, MA in late November.  As it was my first time there, I was trying a variety of different angles and perspectives on Motif #1, the famous fishing shack you see in the background.  When I was done, I came home and started reviewing the shots to see how I did.  I immediately processed the shots I thought were keepers, and left the majority of them for another time.

So I was revisiting these shots the other day, and when I saw this one, I was so glad I had hung on to the non-keepers.  I immediately saw something in the original files this time around which I hadn’t seen before, and processed it with that vision in mind.  You hear it all the time, but there’s definitely something to be said about coming back to images a while after you shoot them.  You’re almost guaranteed to see something different the second or third time around.

Nikon D90, Nikkor 18-70, f/13, 29mm, 3 brackets

1. Posted February 14, 2012 at 9:57 am | Permalink

Yup I can attest to that. Glad you kept this one and revisited it. It’s a winner shot. I love the composition and the reflections of the shack and the boat.

2. Posted February 14, 2012 at 9:58 am | Permalink

Love this, Steven. Sharp focus in the foreground with a soft moody look in the background. Foreground has an almost tilt-shift look on the boats. Well done, my friend!

3. Posted February 14, 2012 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

Love the moody feel to this, and the contrast between the soft out of focus background and the sharp totally still water in the foreground. I’ve been there too! I think sometimes we have pre-planned concepts of what we expected to capture at the time and we therefore by-pass images that don’t match that idea. Coming back later with a fresh viewpoint often reveals hidden gems – nice one.

4. Posted February 14, 2012 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

I’m not sure what you did post processing, but I like the scene to isolate the boats. Well done!

• Posted February 14, 2012 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

Thanks Rick. I actually just added a little Lens Blur to the background in PS, and then some sharpening and clarity to the boats to make them pop a little.

5. Posted February 14, 2012 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

Really great composition on this one Steve, I like it a lot!

6. Posted February 15, 2012 at 9:12 am | Permalink

They look like toy boats! Well done. This is a sick image.

7. Posted February 15, 2012 at 10:30 am | Permalink

Love this Steven! Brilliant shot.

8. Posted February 17, 2012 at 2:32 am | Permalink

loved the miniature look approach. keep ’em coming!

9. Posted February 17, 2012 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

Great shot, really like the processing to blur the background.

One Trackback

1. […] that each have their own feel.  Definitely a highlight in this weeks links list to check out!Gussy’s Girls – a wonderful image from Steven Perlmutter is presented, with the well-known and famous Motif #1 […]