I’ve shot this small road many times in the spring and fall trying to get a good shot with the trees full of colorful leaves, but never really got anything I liked.  Ironically, this B&W image I made on a dreary, foggy winter morning has turned out to be better than any of the autumn shots I’ve taken.  It just goes to show you, don’t take any weather conditions for granted… good or bad.  Get out and shoot whenever you can because a gray and colorless day can be just as good, if not better, than a crisp colorful one.

Have a great weekend.

Nikon D90, Nikkor 18-70mm, f/10, 24mm, 1/20 second

1. Mare
    Posted January 6, 2012 at 8:30 am | Permalink

Beautiful!

2. Posted January 6, 2012 at 8:39 am | Permalink

Nice canopy of winter trees!

3. Posted January 6, 2012 at 9:26 am | Permalink

Wow, the black and white treatment really make this image shine. Awesome work today.

4. Posted January 6, 2012 at 9:31 am | Permalink

Gray is great! Really digging this, Steven.
    This reminds me of a similar shot I’ve taken but yet to process. I’d be happy if that one comes out half as nice. 🙂

5. Posted January 6, 2012 at 9:46 am | Permalink

It sure is 🙂 Lovely shot Steven!

6. Posted January 6, 2012 at 10:11 am | Permalink

Nicely done Steven!

7. Posted January 6, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

This is the type of shot that suits B&W so well. Thee moodyness still shines through – nice work

8. Posted January 6, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

Great choice of B&W Steven. Live the leading line and vanishing point.

9. Posted January 6, 2012 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

I LOVE this shot, Steven! Great drama at play here, well seen and captured!

10. Posted January 6, 2012 at 8:56 pm | Permalink

Perfect B&W Steven. Well done.

11. Posted January 7, 2012 at 5:20 am | Permalink

Love it Steven, had a similar moment myself in the autumn and have to agree with you.

2 Trackbacks

1. […] Gray is Good – as Steven mentions in this post, the weather and sky conditions that we find ourselves in when shooting outdoors can be considered a blessing when viewed in the right context.  In this great black-and-white shot, Steven Perlmutter delivers a truly dramatic and compelling scene of a roadway that is truly a highly emotional piece. […]

2. […] this wonderful result, producing a striking piece that is well worth the time to visit and view.Gray is Good – as Steven mentions in this post, the weather and sky conditions that we find ourselves in when […]