Well it’s back to Kittery, Maine for today’s image.  This is the pier located at the tip of Gerrish Island, right next to Fort Foster which I posted about the other day.  I took this shot last week on one of the windiest days I can remember.  That plus the cold temperatures made it almost impossible for a) my tripod to stay still, and b) me to try more than one angle/composition for this shot.  I had on my super-macho fingerless gloves with the foldover top, a hat,  and as many layers as I could get on, and yet it was still miserable.  I’m definitely pleased with how this shot came out, but I do want to come back and try some different compositions on a day where the wind and weather will make it easier on me.  This time of year in the northeast certainly requires an extra dose of “suck it up” if you want to get out there and still get your shots, and I apparently forgot to take mine last week.

Nikon D90, Nikkor 18-70, f/5.6, 22mm, ND10, 8 and 30 second exposures

1. Posted January 4, 2012 at 8:11 am | Permalink

This is one of your best Steven. Great light, color and leading line. Well worth the pain…

2. Posted January 4, 2012 at 8:29 am | Permalink

Really great one today Steven! Agreed about the northeast….I was out yesterday in zero degree weather…light snow and terrible wind that didn’t want to quit. And truth be told I got zero images. Winter can be a gruel mistress even here in Vermont away from the ocean.

3. Posted January 4, 2012 at 9:24 am | Permalink

I tell you one thing, Steven, conditions aside, this came out great, man. Lovely shot all around. Really digging that mystical looking water.

4. Posted January 4, 2012 at 10:17 am | Permalink

Haha, I sometimes forget that extra dose at home and succumb to laziness. Well done on this beautiful long exposure shot. I dig it.

5. Posted January 4, 2012 at 10:35 am | Permalink

Fantastic shot! So worth the cold and the wind!

6. Posted January 4, 2012 at 10:47 am | Permalink

Great work Steven 🙂 Has a nice misty feel to it.

7. Posted January 4, 2012 at 11:21 am | Permalink

Man this fantastic! The water almost looks like a fog and the motion of the clouds is just great. I can sympathize with you about the cold, we’ve had temps in the teens the last few days and I’ve refused to take my dose of “suck-it-up”!

8. Posted January 4, 2012 at 11:39 am | Permalink

What a great comp for this image. The colors in the sky, the lines from the pier and the rocks in the foreground all add up to a great shot.

9. Posted January 4, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

nicely done Steven, great image and well worth the cold!

10. Posted January 4, 2012 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

‘No gain without pain’ as the saying goes. That was worth the effort – misty milkiness to the water, glistening rocks and a great sky. Hard work but very nice work. Well done.

11. Posted January 4, 2012 at 5:04 pm | Permalink

Fantastic long exposure Steven. Love everything about this image.

12. Posted January 5, 2012 at 7:59 am | Permalink

I think that this is one of my favorites of yours Steven, beautiful shot!

13. Posted January 6, 2012 at 8:50 pm | Permalink

Fantastic long exposure Steven. I love how the water in the foreground is like a mist over the rocks.

One Trackback

1. By Blustery II « Perlmutter Photography on February 1, 2012 at 8:17 am

[…] back to Kittery Point, Maine for today’s post.  This is the same pier from this post, just taken from the other side.  It was a freezing cold evening, but with a beautiful sunset. […]