Today’s image is part of Fort Foster located on Gerrish Island in Kittery, Maine.  Construction of the fort was started and stopped several times in the late 1800’s, and was completed in 1904.  It was designed to help protect the Naval Shipyard in nearby Portsmouth, NH in the aftermath of the Spanish-American War.  It sits on a beautiful site overlooking the ocean with views of Portsmouth, as well as several lighthouses.  When I first saw these doors, they reminded me of the tv show “Let’s Make A Deal” where contestants could choose an unknown prize behind one of three doors or curtains.  Perhaps there’s still something of value behind these doors, but for now, I just like the way they look from the outside.

Nikon D90, Nikkor 18-70, f/3.5, 18mm, 1/40 second

1. Posted December 29, 2011 at 9:51 am | Permalink

Nice one, Steven! What’s behind door # 3, a new car? LOL
    Really nice perspective on this.

2. Posted December 29, 2011 at 11:09 am | Permalink

An awesome shot here Steven! Really cool find and I love the processing!

3. Posted December 29, 2011 at 11:16 am | Permalink

That’s an interesting take on these doors! To me it looks like some place you would contain convicts or something. Those rivets make it cold and harsh. Just me 🙂 I love images that give emotion and that emotion is different for different people. Well done.

4. Posted December 29, 2011 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

Sweet DOF Steven!

5. Posted December 29, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

Ooo love the focus in this Steven. Nice shot all around 🙂 Have a very happy New Year!

6. Posted December 29, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

Excellent work…love the selective focus. I’ll take door #2.

One Trackback

1. By Blustery « Perlmutter Photography on January 4, 2012 at 8:03 am

[…] image.  This is the pier located at the tip of Gerrish Island, right next to Fort Foster which I posted about the other day.  I took this shot last week on one of the windiest days I can remember. […]