Yes, this is the famous Motif #1, the fishing shack in Rockport, MA known for being the most often-painted building in America.  And yes, it’s also one of the most photographed buildings as well.  But I just needed to have a go at it.  I’ve lived in New England my whole life, and have been somewhat serious about my photography for many years, and yet I had never come to this picturesque spot to capture what so many others have.  While certainly not my best work, there’s something about it I really like.  The boats are blurred from the long exposure (I wasn’t able to get a still shot of the boats that I could mask in accurately), but I like the colors and the movement of the clouds.

Even though it’s virtually impossible to create a truly unique shot of an iconic location like this, it’s still one of those images that I wanted to capture for myself.  I have some others from this shoot that I’ll share in future posts.

Nikon D90, Nikkor 18-70, f/13, 48mm, 59 seconds, B+W ND-10

1. Posted November 30, 2011 at 7:02 am | Permalink

That’s a different point of view for this icon. Very nice light and great reflections. I just love visiting Rockport and this is one of the reasons why.

2. Posted November 30, 2011 at 8:04 am | Permalink

I like the touch of motion and the warm tones Steven!

3. Posted November 30, 2011 at 8:14 am | Permalink

Absolutely beautiful, Steven! I like the soft focus in this and the colors and light are very nice.

4. Posted November 30, 2011 at 8:15 am | Permalink

Wow, the reflections are outstanding man! Love the colors too, the warm tones are so soothing

5. Posted November 30, 2011 at 8:56 am | Permalink

Love the warm tones in the sky.

6. Posted November 30, 2011 at 10:42 am | Permalink

I can see why it’s photographed so much. Beautiful scene. Nice personal representation of this.

7. Posted November 30, 2011 at 11:03 am | Permalink

Lovely light

8. Posted November 30, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

I actually like the motion of the boats Steven. It’s a terrific shot. I really like the lighting and reflections.

One Trackback

1. By Me and the Buoys « Perlmutter Photography on December 1, 2011 at 6:28 am

[…] Perlmutter Photography one man's attempt to take cool pictures HomeAbout MeContactPortfolio Twitter Facebook RSS Feed ← Famous Shack […]