Today’s image comes to us from Nubble Light in York, Maine.  As I mentioned in a previous post here, I believe that this may be the most photographed lighthouse in the country.  Or at least in New England.  I was there with my 8 year old son this past weekend, and we spent about 45 minutes doing our usual activities.  He climbed all over the rocks, and I took some pictures.  It was pretty windy, and had just rained a bit so some of the rocks were still wet.  I was too nervous watching him climbing around on the wet rocks to get more than a few shots, but I like how this one turned out.  I may have used a shutter speed that was a bit too long, but I still was pleased with the results.  I don’t think I’ll ever get tired of trying get the perfect shot of this iconic lighthouse.

And here’s a black and white conversion as well.  Still deciding which version I like better.

1. Posted November 14, 2011 at 9:47 am | Permalink

Great shot, I love the long exposure and think it looks about right, great effect over the rocks. As for which version, the B&W rocks it for me, the tones and contrast are spot on and there is no distractions.

2. Posted November 14, 2011 at 10:37 am | Permalink

Lighthouse FTW! Hmm, not sure what one I like better. I think it’s because I always think of lighthouses in color unless they are really close up. Strange I’m sure… You really do get a feel for the weather in the color image. Just feels cold.

3. Posted November 14, 2011 at 11:35 am | Permalink

WOW amazing shot. I can’t choose between the colr & B&W I love them both. The long exposure is perfect and I love the cascading water on that mini waterfall.

4. Posted November 14, 2011 at 11:43 am | Permalink

I love this lighthouse almost as Pemaquid. Very well exposed, Steven. I don’t think it is overexposed at all. I hope that my photos of Nubble turn out half as good as this. Like the color one…

5. Posted November 14, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

I love, love, love this shot, Steven! Great work here, tons of drama and detail to take in!

6. Posted November 14, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

I am loving this one Steven, especially the b/w version!

7. Posted November 15, 2011 at 3:08 am | Permalink

I’ve got to go with the B&W version. The contrast and tone in that is very good – somehow I find the large expanse of ‘brown’ in the foreground of the colour version a little overpowering. The sea is captured very well indeed.

8. Posted November 15, 2011 at 6:27 am | Permalink

I think I like the B&W better. Very cool shot. I must visit this lighthouse one day.

9. Posted November 15, 2011 at 7:36 am | Permalink

Gotta go with the color one here man. The desaturated look is just outstanding. I love how the water looks so smooth as well!

10. Posted November 26, 2011 at 5:11 am | Permalink

Black and White way better. Love the contrast.

11. Posted November 30, 2011 at 11:12 am | Permalink

Steven, this is really outstanding, I love the black and white version the most I think.

12. Posted January 24, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

The mono conversion really bring this out, great motion and superb tones. Like your composition too.

4 Trackbacks

1. By Tangled « Perlmutter Photography on November 15, 2011 at 7:50 am

[…] Perlmutter Photography one man's attempt to take cool pictures HomeAbout MeContactPortfolio Twitter Facebook RSS Feed ← Stormy Seas […]

2. […] Stormy Seas – a stunning, stunning image by Steven Perlmutter showcases an iconic lighthouse in stormy conditions in Maine.  Fabulous details of the lighthouse and accompanying out-buildings greet the viewer, definitely guaranteed to delight and amaze all who view. […]

3. […] Stormy Seas – a stunning, stunning image by Steven Perlmutter showcases an iconic lighthouse in stormy conditions in Maine.  Fabulous details of the lighthouse and accompanying out-buildings greet the viewer, definitely guaranteed to delight and amaze all who view. […]

4. By Winter Light « Perlmutter Photography on January 10, 2012 at 7:58 am

[…] Nubble Light in York, ME.  I’ve posted shots of this iconic lighthouse several times before (here, here and here), but until today, no winter shots.  Even though this is mostly just a postcard […]