Well I just got back from a beautiful long weekend with my wife on Martha’s Vineyard to celebrate our 10th anniversary.   We had fantastic weather and without the kids with us, we ate, drank and slept like it was our job.  It’s where we got married, and we try to visit whenever we can.  I’ve actually been visiting or living on the Vineyard since early high school, but I still love going there and I of course always try to get out and shoot when I can.

So while my wife slept in Sunday morning, I was up before sunrise and out the door.  This shot is of the ferry terminal in Oak Bluffs.  It’s one of several on the island, and on a normal summer day it would have been full of people, cars and ferries coming and going.  As it’s now considered offseason on the island, it had recently closed leaving only the Vineyard Haven terminal open.  I got there a little before 7 am, and had the whole place to myself.  This is a single exposure with some minor Lightroom adjustments.  I decided to try more of a cinematic crop for this image, and I think it works well for the composition.  I also like the way it looks in B&W which I posted below.  I’ll have more shots to share from my trip as soon as I get around to processing them all.

By the way, I’m suffering again this morning from another episode of NDSS.  That’s Next Day Sunrise Syndrom.  While the light was nice yesterday morning when I took this shot, it was virtually cloudless and kinda boring.  Today however, I witnessed an absolutely beautiful sunrise with just incredible colors that would have looked amazing as a backdrop for this shot.  Unfortunately, I was veiwing it through the window on the train to work.  This seems to happen to me all the time.  Is it just me?

1. Posted October 24, 2011 at 8:29 am | Permalink

Love the colour image Steven, really great light you captured.. As for sunrises, you just can’t predict a good one, I wish there was some way we could!

2. Posted October 24, 2011 at 8:51 am | Permalink

Love the colour version – the warmth is a joy. Sunrises – when you go looking they fail to turn up, and when you aren’t really looking they thumb their nose at you! Keep chasing them – it’s the color in this one that works.

3. Posted October 24, 2011 at 10:05 am | Permalink

Beautiful shot Steven. I love the color version.

4. Posted October 24, 2011 at 10:56 am | Permalink

Sounds like you had a really good time.

I like this shot. I think I’m gunna go with the color shot on this one. I like the mono shot but it almost feels like it needs a bit more contrast in the roof to really make it pop. I love the shadows by the pillars though. Way cool!

5. Posted October 24, 2011 at 11:27 am | Permalink

Happy Anniversary to you and the Mrs. Steven. What a way to celebrate!
    The color version is my first choice here. I really like the warmness of the image. Great composition, by the way.
    Funny how those sunrises vary so much from one day to the next. 🙂

6. Posted October 24, 2011 at 11:45 am | Permalink

Love the light and texture of the water in this. Very nice! And happy anniversary!

7. Posted October 24, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

Wow Stephen, just wonderful composition and early morning color. Just proves that the magic hour is just that.

8. Posted October 24, 2011 at 6:18 pm | Permalink

Wow, very nice pictures!

9. Posted October 24, 2011 at 6:22 pm | Permalink

Love the warm tones in the color version Steven. Don’t feel like you’ve got the market on NDSS, happens to me all the time!

10. Posted October 25, 2011 at 6:01 am | Permalink

Fantastic shots, really like the black and white one!

11. Posted October 25, 2011 at 7:48 am | Permalink

They are both stunning man, I love that first with the warm glow, really beautiful work.

12. Posted November 4, 2011 at 11:08 am | Permalink

For me, your great picture of the O.B. Wharf brings me back to when I was about 13 years old. (late sixties). I used to spend every summer at my grandmother’s house in Oak Bluffs with my siblings and cousins. That shot is precisely where my friends and I went coin-diving three times a day when the SSA ferries stopped there on the way to Nantucket Island.

In the picture, where the four tall posts are jutting out of the water, is where the steamship Nobska used to dock. We swam out to the boat and panhandled for coins which were thrown down to us. We would all swim after the falling coins as they drifted to the bottom, fighting among ourselves to catch them. It actually served as a unique form of entertainment for spectators who were waiting to continue their trip. Directly across from those posts on the edge of the wharf was a little shack where the SSA workers hung out between boats.

It was a wonderful time in a truly special place…thanks for invoking the memories.

By the way, happy belated anniversary!

Best,
    Kevin

• Posted November 4, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

I remember kids doing that when I lived there in the 80s and early 90s, and I bet they probably still do it today. It’s great when photographs can bring back memories like that, and it was nice to be able to recapture some of that a few weeks ago. Thanks for the comment and the visit to my blog.

Steven