As I mentioned yesterday, I was up early on Monday for some sunrise shooting in Gloucester, MA.  Although it’s known as a vibrant fishing community, there are other parts that are far less commercial but equally photogenic.  With that in mind, I chose to visit the salt marshes this time around.  I’ve always really enjoyed photographing them, but I went there this time mostly because I didn’t get going soon enough to reach the harbor by sunrise. 🙂

While I made it here just as the sun was coming up, I was disappointed that there was not a single cloud in the sky, so I decided to try some different things.  This image is a five shot panorama that I created in CS5.  It was my first time trying this technique, and it will require a great deal of practice to learn the nuances of combining multiple shots in varying light (I already know that I should’ve bracketed each shot for more control of the final product).  I’m definitely up for the challenge, however, as I really like what’s possible when creating panoramic images.  Cloudless sky aside, I’d love to get your feedback on this one, as your input will help me further develop my skills in this area.  Thanks.

1. Posted October 12, 2011 at 8:47 am | Permalink

Nice Pano Steven, you’ve captured that great early light. I’ve never tried this myself, must do one day.

2. Posted October 12, 2011 at 9:44 am | Permalink

Really nice pano Steven! This something that I keep forgetting to try while I’m out.

3. Posted October 12, 2011 at 10:13 am | Permalink

This is a very nice pano, Steven. Love the colors and reflection.
    For some odd reason, I’ve yet to shoot any panos. You’ve encouraged me to step up my game and get a little experience in that area. 😉
    Nice work, man.

4. Posted October 12, 2011 at 10:16 am | Permalink

I think you did a great job Steven. I have to start trying some panos as well. The only thing I would say is that I find there’s an uneveness in the color of the sky moving from left to right. Maybe its my screen.

• Posted October 12, 2011 at 10:58 am | Permalink

Thanks Edith. I noticed that too, and think it’s due to the way the light appears early in the morning when you pan across the sky. I defintely need to practice more to figure out how to correct this.

5. Posted October 12, 2011 at 11:03 am | Permalink

Now this is my kinda place 🙂 Mashes and Wetlands are my favs. Nice work.

6. Posted October 12, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

Love this shot, Steven, great composition and the results are truly breathtaking my friend!

7. Posted October 12, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

I think you’ve done a very good job except just possibly in the gradations in the sky – but that always seems to be the hardest area. I’ve taken a few of these, hand-held always, in mountain environments and found Photoshop does a good job of stitching them together, but I think the most images I’ve stitched together is three so far.

8. Posted October 13, 2011 at 6:32 am | Permalink

Great shot Steven. To get the even lighting across the scene, you should not have the camera set to any other modes than Manual. As you move, the camera will make slight changes to the settings – you need to control that. So take a test shot of the area you want to combine into a pano, find the brightest part and find an exposure that does not result in blinkies. Take the setting of that photo, and program your camera to those numbers Manual mode. Focus on the main subject and lock focus in as well…and shoot.

I did a little write up about pano’s on my blurb a while back – take a look – http://imagesbyjw.com/2011/06/16/just-a-view/

• Posted October 13, 2011 at 8:34 am | Permalink

Thanks for the feedback Jan. What’s strange is that I did have the camera set on Manual exposure and focus based on a test shot, and yet still had the color variations in the sky. I’m not sure what caused this, so I guess I’ll have to go back there and try again. 🙂

9. Posted October 13, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

I like this alot. Sometimes, when the shy is absent of beautiful colors for me, I like to make the photo a little warmer. It seems to envoke a good feeling for the viewer. This is fantastic as is though. Well done.

10. Rick
    Posted October 13, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

Wow, the blow up detail of this shot is amazing! Well done!

One Trackback

1. By Lone Boat « Perlmutter Photography on February 15, 2012 at 8:48 am

[…] have been able to get this shot.  This was taken in Gloucester, MA on the same morning as this image, but looking in the opposite direction.    There was no one around, and no sounds to be […]