Sometimes it’s fun to take an image that you’re not sure about, and try new ways of processing it.  I played around with this one for a while trying all sorts of effects to get something interesting.  By the time I was satisfied with the final product, there was no way I would’ve been able to tell you my post-processing recipe.  But regardless of what I ended up doing, I think I enjoyed the creative process of coming to the final image more than the final image itself.

And here’s the original tonemapped image before I started working on it.

1. Posted September 28, 2011 at 7:50 am | Permalink

LOL – I know exactly what you mean, Steven. Been there many times.

I really like the final product, although the original tonemapping came out quite well. The textured look and slanted lines of the final are very nice. Great job, man.

2. Posted September 28, 2011 at 7:59 am | Permalink

Great processing Steven even if you can’t remember what you did exactly. These programs have so many options that unless you keep careful track… Anyway, love the final result.

3. Posted September 28, 2011 at 8:08 am | Permalink

I know what you mean about remembering your processing. I always post how I processed my images on each post so make a note (hey it works for me!)
    Good job. I like the original tonemapped image the best although the sun looks better in your textured version.

4. Posted September 28, 2011 at 10:59 am | Permalink

Nice use of texture in this one.

5. Posted September 28, 2011 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

I know exactly what you mean Steven. That’s happened to me so many times and then I regret not writing down my steps. I agree that the tonemapped image came out well but I do like the texture in your final image.

6. Posted September 28, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

That sounds so familiar – I keep telling myself to keep a record of when I ‘derive’ an image by ‘doodling’ and then forget! That’s an effective treatment, brings it closer to illustration but there’s nothing wrong with that in my book. Well managed.