Just a quick post today as this is shaping up to be a very busy week.  This is Marblehead Light in Marblehead, MA.  It was built in 1895, and sits on a peninsula of land called Marblehead Neck on the north shore of Massachusetts.  It’s constructed of cast iron, and is the only lighthouse of its kind in New England.  Plus, it just looks cool.

1. Posted September 27, 2011 at 8:47 am | Permalink

This is an odd find! I wonder how they’ve been able to keep the iron from rusting away all these years.

2. Posted September 27, 2011 at 9:03 am | Permalink

I thought this was an oil rig at first glance.
    Never knew lighthouses were constructed like this. What a cool find. Like Curt, I wonder how the salt has allowed this to remain standing. Talk about high maintenance. 🙂

3. Posted September 27, 2011 at 9:45 am | Permalink

Very cool Steven. I really like the way you’ve processed it.

4. Kira Kay
    Posted September 27, 2011 at 9:52 am | Permalink

As a Marblehead resident I’m happy to provide this link about our unusual cast iron lighthouse…

5. Posted September 27, 2011 at 10:46 am | Permalink

I like the tint in this image. Nice subject. Never seen a lighthouse skeleton. 🙂

6. Posted September 28, 2011 at 2:54 am | Permalink

Nice shot Steven – I like the strong composition… did you process this using the Topaz B&W Effects plug-in?

• Posted September 28, 2011 at 8:02 am | Permalink

Thanks Simon. This was actually processed a while ago using some of the presets in LR with a few tweaks.

One Trackback

1. By Lighthouse Skeleton II « Perlmutter Photography on November 8, 2011 at 8:12 am

[…] Light, and is a closer and more abstract view of the tower than my original post about it here.  It’s just such an interesting structure with so many photo possibilities.  I need to get […]