Ogunquit, Maine is one of my favorite local places to visit and shoot.  It’s only an hour drive from my house, and I get up there a fair amount either with my family, or alone with my camera.  Anyone who’s ever been there will recognize this image of Perkins Cove harbor.  It’s always filled with lobster boats, and there’s a really cool wooden drawbridge over the harbor’s entrance that provides an excellent vantage point for capturing this quintessential Maine fishing village.   As much as I like a beautiful sky for scenes like this, I think a foggy morning is probably the best way to represent the “feel” of this wonderful place.   I need only to look at it, and I can smell the salt air and hear the fog horns in the distance.

1. Posted September 8, 2011 at 7:16 am | Permalink

Very cool image Steven. Love the sharp focus on the front three boats with the fog in the background. Well done. I have never been to Ogunquit but will visit there in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to it.

2. Posted September 8, 2011 at 9:59 am | Permalink

Great shot. The miniature effect is working great on this one. Very cool.

3. Posted September 8, 2011 at 10:32 am | Permalink

Every time I see these images it trips me out. Our brains are so easily fooled! Nice work.

4. Posted September 8, 2011 at 11:09 am | Permalink

Fantastic shot. At first glance I thought they really were toy boats. Great image. I’ve been to Perkins Cove…I love Maine…so I know this spot. Now look what you’ve done I have to go back.

5. Posted September 8, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

What an awesome place to shoot! Did you use a tilt shift here? These really do look like toy boats! Beautiful.

6. Posted September 8, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Permalink

Awesome shot, man. This looks great. That’s a place I need to add to my bucket list.

7. Posted September 8, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

Wonderful shot Steven, love the selective focus!

8. Posted September 8, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

It just don’t get ANY better than this, Steven, I love this shot!!!

9. Posted September 8, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

Is this tilt shift. Great job Steven, love the face on POV

10. Posted September 14, 2011 at 11:03 am | Permalink

Wow, that is such a cool photo!

3 Trackbacks

1. […] Toy Boats – Steven Perlmutter shares with us an instant classic maritime shot.  A gaggle of boats sitting in the harbor coupled with the incredible selective focus from what I believe to be a tilt/shift lens really brings the entire scene to life. […]

2. By iPhone Friday on September 16, 2011 at 1:51 am

[…] Tiny Boats of Maine […]

3. By On the Rocks « Perlmutter Photography on November 17, 2011 at 7:55 am

[…] are everywhere.  This shot was taken at low tide in Oarweed Cove, which sits on the other side of Perkins Cove.  These rocks make an outstanding foreground interest, although it can be treacherous navigating […]