Well my new toy arrived this weekend, and I just had to go out and see what I could do with it.  I’ve been wanting to experiment more with long exposures, so I finally got myself the B+W 10 stop ND filter.  The next morning I got up early for a sunrise that never materialized, but I still got to try some long exposures.  There’s a lot to learn about using it and it’s definitely going to take some practice and experimentation, but I was still pleased with a few of the shots I was able to create.

I went up to Willows Park in Salem, MA to shoot the pier and rocky beach, but this image of one of the docks was probably my favorite.  I really love the way an exposure of nearly 2 minutes just smooths out the water while leaving fixed objects like the dock in focus.  I’m excited to keep trying different types of shots with the new filter, and will hopefully have some stuff to share in the future.

1. Posted September 6, 2011 at 7:39 am | Permalink

Excellent composition Steven. Love the yellow and red against the water. I love that filter but it does take practice. The first time I used it, I didn’t think about covering the eyepiece and my images were great except for the light that had come in from the back.

2. Posted September 6, 2011 at 7:44 am | Permalink

I know how much practice standard ND filters take, I can imagine that a 10-stop would really take some getting used to. Love the composition Steven!

3. Posted September 6, 2011 at 9:32 am | Permalink

Very neat point of view. Great shot!

4. Posted September 6, 2011 at 10:08 am | Permalink

Great shot, Steven. The water looks fantastic and the point of view is perfect.

Nds are fun to play around with. I’ll be getting a new ND filter soon, since I dropped and cracked my Hoya 10-stop (ouch) this weekend. 🙁 Can’t believe I let that happen. Anyhow…

Great shot, man.

5. Posted September 6, 2011 at 10:28 am | Permalink

Nice lines and focal point.

6. Posted September 6, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

Great compostion Steve. I think this is an amazing shot.

7. Posted September 6, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

Very nice picture! 🙂
    /Victoria (Sweden)

8. Posted September 6, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

10-stop 4 life! 🙂 It’s so addicting! Really nicely shot – DoF is perfect!

9. Posted September 6, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Permalink

Great result. Silky smooth water and the wood provides a nice contrast.

One Trackback

1. By Pier Pressure « Perlmutter Photography on September 14, 2011 at 7:52 am

[…] another shot from my first day with my 10 stop ND filter.  As I mentioned in a previous post, I was very excited to try it out as soon as I got it, and headed out to Salem Willows Park about a […]