As everyone knows, all is not lost for landscape photography when it’s foggy, cloudy, rainy, or all of the above.  Sometimes it’s just what you need.  This particular image was taken last summer on the Scott Kelby Worldwide Photo Walk in Ogunquit, ME.  It was an early morning walk, and we arrived at the meeting place around 5:00 am which meant I was up around 3:30.  Needless to say I was disappointed that I had gotten up so early only to find a total absence of any visible sun or sky.  I did, however, end up getting several images that morning that I really like.  The lack of an interesting sky certainly presents challenges, but the flip side is having that beautiful, soft, contrast-free light you get when the clouds/fog act like a giant softbox.  This light combined with the morning dew helped set up this shot of rose hips, which are found in abundance along the Marginal Way where this shot was taken.  The toughest challenge was finding the right ones to shoot among so many.

P.S.  Sorry for the corny title to this post.  I’m very tired as I write this, and I couldn’t come up with anything better.  Have a great weekend.

1. Posted August 26, 2011 at 7:33 am | Permalink

Very nice macro Steven. Great contrasting colors and water beads. I suffer the same challenge as you, coming up with titles…

2. Posted August 26, 2011 at 8:29 am | Permalink

Nice shot, Steven.
    We always want those sunrises and colorful skies but as you’ve pointed out, all is not lost.

This is a great example of taking advantage if what you had to work with. Love them droplets.

I hear ya on titles. They can be tough at times. 🙂

3. Posted August 26, 2011 at 9:07 am | Permalink

Beautiful macro Steve. Love the way the water droplets stand out.

4. Posted August 26, 2011 at 10:18 am | Permalink

Nice colours and DOF. The dew drops really make the image pop.

5. Posted August 26, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

I enjoyed the picture AND the title immensely! Great work, my friend.

6. Posted August 26, 2011 at 10:03 pm | Permalink

Very nice macro man. Really cool color.

7. Posted August 27, 2011 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

Wow! Fantastically composed!!! Love the dew droplets!!! Great work. You said it, if nature doesn’t give you what you are looking for, make the best of what’s there!