I’ve wanted to create a unique image of Plum Island Light for the longest time.  I’ve shot it many times at different points the day, at various angles, different positions, seasons, etc., but wasn’t able to create anything that stands out from the many images that have already been done.  I was there again about a month ago on a night with a beautiful sunset and was trying to get something memorable.  Once again, for whatever reason, nothing was working so I decided to take a little walk.  As I walked past this fence and flowers, I knew I had finally found the composition I was looking for.

Looking back, this seems like such an obvious perspective to set up for a shot, and it made me question how well I really explored this location in the past, as well as many of my other favorite haunts.  As a result, I’m trying very hard now to just walk around and evaluate the possible photographic opportunities of a location before I pull out the camera and press the shutter.

1. Posted August 25, 2011 at 6:57 am | Permalink

Nicely composed Steven. The focus and the bokeh really works here.

2. Posted August 25, 2011 at 7:40 am | Permalink

Wonderful shot, Steven. All the colors here blend together so nicely and I like the focus.

3. Mare
    Posted August 25, 2011 at 9:14 am | Permalink

This is a beautiful image. I want to be there NOW!

4. Posted August 25, 2011 at 9:39 am | Permalink

Great composition and colours.

5. Posted August 25, 2011 at 10:49 am | Permalink

You could go to a stop 100 times and still find something new. Nice eye man and good job on the shot.

6. Posted August 25, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

Great catch Steven! Loving the composition and framing of this shot!

7. Posted August 25, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

This is a beauty, and I am all for having a good look around a location to get a feel for the place before taking any shots – it often works so well 🙂

8. Posted August 26, 2011 at 4:31 am | Permalink

Well done! I always like to fully explore a site (if my GF isn’t with me, then I feel rushed – I hope she doesn’t read this…) I am heading to Sweden next with with a photo buddy of mine, hoping to fill up 3X 8GB memory cards!! I will be walking around alot! Love the color here buddy.

2 Trackbacks

1. By Forty Love « Perlmutter Photography on August 29, 2011 at 6:17 am

[…] shots more often, which of course goes completely against what I spoke about the other day here in terms of making sure you walk around and evaluate what’s in front of you.  I guess I just […]

2. By Lookout « Perlmutter Photography on November 22, 2011 at 8:21 am

[…] today.  This is the lower window on Plum Island Light which I’ve shown on the blog before here.  When shooting this lighthouse, I usually try for a more broad view of it against a nice sunset […]