As 2016 comes to a close, I thought I’d try something a bit different this year by not only highlighting some of my favorite shots from the year, but also including some thoughts/general musings I’ve had throughout the year. I’m not sure how I arrived at 18 of them, but I don’t think having a round number makes the slightest bit of difference. Some of these images didn’t appear on the blog during the year, as I was on a bit of a hiatus for a while, but I believe they’re just as worthy of inclusion as the others. So without further ado, I present 2016 in pictures. And random thoughts.
1. I am much less concerned with how many likes or comments I get on my images than I used to be. I post them because I enjoy sharing them.
2. Photography is so incredibly subjective. Many images I post which I really like seem to get little attention on social media, and vice versa. You just never know what will resonate and with whom.
3. Coming home from a shoot with no keepers is never a bad thing. Being out there shooting is what it’s really all about. At least it is for me.
4. Unless it’s a portrait shoot, and then you’re in big trouble if you have no keepers.
5. I still get a rush when I see a beautiful image on my camera’s LCD screen.
6. Sunrise is the most beautiful part of the day. The rest of the day is always playing catch up.
7. Photography has made me look at the world differently.
8. I absolutely love that after years of saying to my kids “look how pretty the sky is tonight,” they now say this to me on their own.
9. I don’t shoot often enough.
10. Winning a photo contest provides great satisfaction. It does not necessarily provide fame, fortune or increased image sales.
11. The best gear you can buy is just that – gear. Great light, a strong composition, and the patience to wait for them to come together are what make an image memorable; not the gear.
12. With that said, I really do love shooting with the gear I have.
13. For every beautiful sunrise or sunset I’ve captured with the my camera, I’ve walked away with nothing ten times more often. If it were easy, everyone would do it.
14. Sometimes the best view is the one behind you. Never forget to turn around.
15. I need to spend more time promoting myself and my work.
16. I love that when on vacation, my wife and kids sleep in while I quietly go out to shoot sunrise. I come back as everyone is waking up, and it’s a beautiful thing.
17. It’s kinda funny that I post images of beautiful landscapes as often as possible, but never post a picture of a beautiful spreadsheet I create at my real job.
18. I can’t wait to see what 2017 brings.
Thanks for following along this year. Best wishes for a happy and healthy new year.